How and Why You Need a Home Inventory List
If you were asked to make a list of everything inside your home from memory, could you do it? Chances are, you'd end up forgetting a few things, right? What if there was a major disaster and you had to file a homeowners insurance claim. Then, your insurer asks you what belongings you lost in the disaster. This is where a home inventory list comes in handy - yet is often overlooked by homeowners.
What is a home inventory list?
A home inventory is a list of everything you own and that is inside your property. It helps insurance carriers understand the value of belongings you lost in a peril, and what needs to be replaced. Having an up-to-date home inventory on hand can speed up the claims process after a disaster, helping you to get back on your feet as quickly as possible.
How to start your home inventory
Creating a record of everything your home can sound daunting. But there's no need to get overwhelmed.
- Choose a starting point - and work room by room
- Take pictures or a video of all of your belongings
- Make sure to capture serial numbers/identifying features
- Write down a list of all of your belongings and their value
- Keep your receipts and scan them in or take a picture so that you have a digital copy
- Store the inventory both on paper and digitally so that you have multiple versions to rely on
Make sure to update your inventory when you purchase new belongings or sell any possessions. Make sure you have a homeowners insurance
that you can rely on. Need help finding adequate insurance? Contact
Abatelli Group, Inc., serving Whitestone and neighboring cities in New York with the right and reliable coverage.