Be smart when you swim, grill, and play this summer.
Summer is a time for vacations and relaxation, which is why many of us tend to put our guard down as temperatures soar. In fact, many hospitals and emergency rooms see an increase in visitors during the summer months due to falls, burns, and water-related injuries.
Keep these tips in mind while you and your family enjoy having fun in the sun this summer.
- Never grill indoors or in any enclosed area.
- Make sure all guests, children, and pets keep a safe distance from the grill.
- Keep the grill a safe distance away from anything that could catch fire – house, trees, deck…
- Always supervise a grill in use.
- Use grilling tools with long handles, ensuring the chef is safe.
- Never add lighter fluid to a charcoal grill that is already lit.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s safety instructions.
- Teach your children to swim and encourage them to wear safety flotation devices until they are confident.
- Install fencing to keep people and pets out of the pool without your knowledge.
- Evacuate the pool in rain and thunderstorms.
- Make a pool safety kit. Build this kit and keep it in your pool area. Be sure it contains a fully stocked first aid kit and a pair of scissors to cut away clothing or hair that may get stuck in a drain or flotation device. Homeowners should also take a CPR course to be fully prepared.
- Never swim alone or leave children unattended – even for a couple of minutes.
- Don’t allow running, diving, or pushing in your pool.
- Stay hydrated! Water is your best friend, especially during the hot summer months.
- Take breaks inside regularly or retreat into the shade when you can.
- Wear light-colored clothing that won’t absorb the heat.
The team at Abatelli Group, Inc. wishes you a safe and sound summer! Visit us for all of your insurance needs.