Safeguard your property and appliances from water damage with these tips.
Believe it or not, but appliances in the household are one of the main sources of water damage to homes. That’s right, it’s not rain coming in through a window or a faucet that’s been left on. Washing machines, fridges, and hot water heaters are major culprits when it comes to causing havoc in the home. Take action and prevent water damage in the home from appliances with these tips.
- Check for leaks often. Thoroughly check the area around appliances for any signs of leaking every couple of months.
- Check supply hoses. Check the supply hoses regularly to ensure a tight connection and that there are no breaks or tears. It’s a good idea to replace supply hoses for washing machines and dishwashers every five years, even if there are no signs of wear.
- Flush out your water heater. Every year, flush your water heater to remove sediment and ensure that it uses fresh water.
- Supervise running appliances. Try to only operate washing machines and dishwashers when someone is at home.
- Service machines as necessary. It’s a good idea to call out a professional to service your machines and appliances every couple of years. If the machines are nearing the end of their life expectancy, consider replacing it before it leaks or bursts.
Sometimes, not all losses can be prevented. However, following these tips should lower your chances of a leak in the home. Make sure that you know where your water shut-off valve is located so that you can quickly turn off the water to minimize damage.
Homeowners insurance can help if the worst does happen. Make sure you have a policy that you can rely on. Need help finding adequate insurance? Contact Abatelli Group, Inc., serving Whitestone and neighboring cities in New York with the right and reliable coverage.