How to prepare for a power outage.
The weather can change in an instant, meaning that homeowners should always be prepared for the worst. Part of this preparation is to prepare for a power outage caused by a storm. Storms can bring strong winds and heavy rain that knock down power lines, leaving homes without power from a couple of hours to several days. Here are a few tips to help make sure you are prepared for a power outage.
- Keep a flashlight in an easy-to-reach location. Supply it with fresh batteries and keep an extra set of batteries close by. Avoid using candles as a light source if possible.
- Get a portable radio that you can use for emergencies. This will help you to stay informed about the storm and progress of getting the power back up and running.
- Keep your cellphone charged so that you can make calls in the event of an emergency.
- Stock up on non-perishable food and drinking water. Avoid opening the fridge and freezer at all during the power cut.
- Keep a stocked first aid kit, any medications, blankets, and your pet’s supplies in a bag in case of an emergency.
- Unplug large appliances and devices to avoid them from being damaged if a power surge occurs.
- For expensive appliances, consider installing surge protectors.
Remember that a homeowners insurance policy can help to get you back on your feet after a disaster. Make sure you have a policy that you can rely on. Need help finding adequate insurance? Contact Abatelli Group, Inc., serving Whitestone and neighboring cities in New York with the right and reliable coverage.