Home safety tips for while you’re away on vacation.
The summer months are carefree, warm, and the ideal opportunity to jet set to foreign locations and fun spots. Who doesn’t love going on vacation? Before you enter R&R mode, however, it’s important that you take the necessary steps to protect your home from a break-in or accident while you’re away. While your homeowners insurance in Whitestone, NY will work to help you in the event of damage or theft, preventing such incidents are important. Check out these tips on how to protect your home when going on vacation.
Simple tips to protect your home:
- Be careful what you say on social media prior to leaving and while you’re away. Don’t announce that you will be away for 2 weeks as someone could see this information as an opportunity to visit your house.
- Take care of landscaping before you leave – Mow the lawn, trim the hedges, and leave the garden in good condition.
- Pull the plug on your electrical devices and appliances, apart from fridges and freezers.
- Set automatic timers for the lights you use often to make it appear as if someone is in the home.
Ask someone trustworthy to check on your home:
- Ask a friend or neighbor to visit your home while you’re away to collect mail, empty the mailbox, and wheel the garbage bin in from collection day.
- Ask him or her to enter your home periodically to ensure everything is in order.
- Review your homeowners insurance policy to ensure that you have adequate coverage in place.
- Update your home inventory list before you leave.
Need help finding adequate insurance? Contact Abatelli Group, Inc., serving Whitestone and neighboring cities in New York with the right and reliable coverage.