How to prepare for a power outage.
The weather can change in an instant, meaning that homeowners should always be prepared for the worst. Part of this preparation is to prepare for a power outage caused by a storm. Storms can bring strong winds and heavy rain that knock down power lines, leaving homes without power from a couple of hours to several days. Here are a few tips to help make sure you are prepared for a power outage.
- Keep a flashlight in an easy-to-reach location. Supply it with fresh batteries and keep an extra set of batteries close by. Avoid using candles as a light source if possible.
- Get a portable radio that you can use for emergencies. This will help you to stay informed about the storm and progress of getting the power back up and running.
- Keep your cellphone charged so that you can make calls in the event of an emergency.
- Stock up on non-perishable food and drinking water. Avoid opening the fridge and freezer at all during the power cut.
- Keep a stocked first aid kit, any medications, blankets, and your pet’s supplies in a bag in case of an emergency.
- Unplug large appliances and devices to avoid them from being damaged if a power surge occurs.
- For expensive appliances, consider installing surge protectors.
Remember that a homeowners insurance policy can help to get you back on your feet after a disaster. Make sure you have a policy that you can rely on. Need help finding adequate insurance? Contact Abatelli Group, Inc., serving Whitestone and neighboring cities in New York with the right and reliable coverage.
Comments are closed.