Snow storms are severe weather phenomena which could stop entire cities in their tracks, so how can you prepare for one before it’s too late?
A changing climate means more severe weather, which includes heavier snow storms. The power of snow storms can stop entire cities from operating as snow covers the roads and deters people and companies from getting from Point A to Point B. Before one strikes the Whitestone, NY area and leaves you stranded in your own home island covered in a sea of snow, make sure that you prepare with time. Here are a few tips on how you can prepare for a snow storm.
Listen to Your Weatherman (or Weatherwoman)
Your weather station will surely warn you of a possible snowstorm days in advance. If your weather station has a snow storm alert, make sure to prepare for it if you haven’t already.
- Winterize your vehicle and keep the tank full. A full tank will keep the fuel from freezing should temperatures reach dangerously low levels.
- Insulate your home by installing storm windows or covering them with plastic to keep the cold air out.
- Maintain your heating equipment, like chimney or space heater, by cleaning it once a year.
- Water – at least 3 days; 1 gallon per person per day (Don’t forget about your pets! Should you have any)
- Food – at least 3 days; non-perishable, easy-to-make food (Again, don’t forget about your furry friend)
- Battery-powered or hand-crank radio
- Extra batteries
- First-aid kit
- Multi-purpose tool
- Cellphone with battery-powered chargers
- Warm coats, gloves, hats, boots, and extra blankets
- Alternative heat sources like fireplaces, wood, or a coal-burning stove
Comments are closed.